So how do girls pee in a yak?

General posting

So how do girls pee in a yak?

Postby Sailor Dave » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:30 am

..Actually this is a serious question. My bailer does the trick nicely when I can't land anywhere, but my long suffering partner just has to cross her legs and forge on. It's annoying for me, as it dictates the distances we paddle between stops, and must be annoying for her too, I suppose.

Do any of the women on the forum have any tricks they can share?

Cheers,
David.
Sailor Dave

KAYAK: Greenland Qanik, TK1 and a big red 32' kayak with mast and keel.

Re: So how do girls pee in a yak?

Postby Kayaker Greg » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:40 am

One of my paddling partners just doesn't drink, not a good option, she reckons she has trained herself not to need the water, but another time she just jumped over the side, peed, then climbed back in.
I remember some of the guys at a training camp complaining that some of the girls had obviously peed inside one of the team boats.
Kayaker Greg

KAYAK: Breaksea, Beachcomber, Slingshot, Stellar SES, SEL, Fenn Swordfish, stick for bivy, wing for fast

Postby digital_steve » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Let it flow i say... then wash your shame off, and out of the cockpit, when you next stop.
There's not much you can do really, especially if you're a female.

If people are looking for solutions, google female p-valve, as there was work in progress when i finished up diving for a female solution to connecting themselves to a pee valve in a dry suit. Essentially the same for a kayak, but you'd just have a pee bag in the 'pit or drape the hose over the side.

Gotta be careful with pee valves and condom catheters wether you're male or female:
1. Urinary tract infection is possible with back flow and the like (so running the line up and over the cockpit rim might be an issue actually)
2. Your fiance will come home and find you in the faetel position on the bedroom floor because you've decided to try a condom catheter on to see how they fit and connect to the valve of your drysuit, forgetting that they are held in place with a mild adhesive. Unless you've trimmed the area in question, certain hair will be trapped by the adhesive making removal of the condom catheter a rather tear-jerking experience - from pain or from laughter depending on if you're putting one on or you're the fiance that found their partner on the floor in agony, writhing around trying to wrestle the condom catheter off his johnson without giving himself a brazilian wax.

Food for thought people... food - for - thought.
digital_steve

KAYAK: Valley Rapier 20

Postby Sailor Dave » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:13 pm

As a nurse in training I do need to practice my catheter insertions as much as I can, but Cate seems reluctant to let me try on her, for some peculiar reason.. It does seem like the obvious solution though.

Steve your description of condom catheters has brought tears to my eyes. Too descriptive for you to be speaking hypothetically, I take it?
Sailor Dave

KAYAK: Greenland Qanik, TK1 and a big red 32' kayak with mast and keel.

Postby digital_steve » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21 pm

I admit nothing... apart from being completely useless and potentially the biggest idiot anyone knows.

I think they were using catheter in a different sense - it isn't a hospital thingy. The first iteration was a pipe inserted into the female pee hole (clearly my human biology class put in the hard yards), which i imagine would sting and no doubt carries an increased infection risk. The last one i heard about was some weird latex thing that, err, cups the general area and directs the flow to a line. It's reusable but i can't remember how it sticks. I can't even remember the name of it now.
digital_steve

KAYAK: Valley Rapier 20

Postby JohnA » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Same way as on the toilet, only flushing is not a push button away :)

Google "She Wee".
or the Scottish option of going for a "wee swim" is always open.
JohnA

KAYAK: Australis Gecko, Valley Nordkapp RM.

Postby haresfur » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:37 pm

How do girls pee in a kayak? Generally, sitting down I think.

There are a variety of feminine urinary devices (FUDs) available. I'm sure it's easier if she isn't wearing a dry suit.

I've been told that among people who wear wet suits there are two types - those who admit to peeing in them and liars. Might as well recover the heat, eh?

I used to have a kayaking video tape that explained how to raft up with a mate suffering gastric distress, place the paddles across both boats so he can get out of his seat and use the paddles as an, um, "grunt-bar" over the water. Helping your partner pee has got to be better than that.
haresfur

KAYAK: Nordcapp Poly, Wilderness Systems Tempest 165, Yost Sea Rider folder, Pyranha H2

Postby auskadi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 pm

well the women i paddle with just use a bottle (ie a plastic water bottle like you use on a bike) they take the lid off and unzip their wet suit from what i can tell but i dont look
auskadi

KAYAK: Mirage 580

To pee or not to pee ?

Postby Paul Nollen » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:54 pm

This question became for me (male kayaker) a major issue and I came near to giving up kayaking because, these days, when I have to go I have to go. I could not find a decent solution until I came across this articles and they describes the same problem that we have within the glider pilots community:

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/pinkeln-e.html
http://aviation.derosaweb.net/relief/

A Solution for Female Pilots:

Dear Mr. Weber,

In the informative (and very important) "urinal article" there is an important solution for ladies, which is missing.

My daughter and a model maker have developed, a urinal device suitable for ladies. The urinal device is made from silicone rubber and is applied to the Vagina prior to take-off. It is non intrusive, according to some ladies who have tested the unit. Relief for the female pilot can now be similar to the men, via a bag or via a direct exhaust tube (Pee tube). Sitting on or withholding wet nappies is no longer the only choice for female pilots.

for woman.JPG

The Ladies National Champion has used the device for several years and an overseas female has used it for competition flying. The unit appears so successful that female relief problems are no longer an issue.

Please contact: katrin.senne(at)gmx.de

I located the exhaust tube in my DG-800S as far from the interior fuselage centerline as possible. The main advantage was this permitted relief fluids to exhaust externally along the fuselage exterior, without entering the main wheel or rear wheel wells, thereby avoiding under carriage corrosion problems.

Many greetings, Klaus Keim

Katrin Senne wrote:
Womens help for Womens Pilots, Pilot relief system, pee-tube for pilots

I have the device since 10 years in use. But it hasn't been produced any more the last few years so we "reproduced" it.
It is working perfectly, just look at the pictures. After a long competition flight I normally have 2 bags (which are 2 liters each) full! Of course I am drinking a lot of tea during flight.

You insert the longest piece (just before take off) like a tampon. The open part of it is than just in front of the part where the pipi comes out. It is not so comfortable to walk with it but in flight it is comfortable and you do not feel it.

It (the piece is made out of silicon) is very easy to handle and after flying I just rinse it with hot water and soap and put it into a cleaning bath for third teeth (antibacterial). The bags for the pipi you can be bought in any pharmacy. Further informations: katrin.senne(at)gmx.de

I am using an external katheder and urine bag now for about a year and it is very relaxing. It allows me also to drink when and how much I want. I don't know any kayaking women yet who used the "glider pilot" system but I think this is only a matter of time.
I posted a thread about this issue on paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1721388 where some interesting comments were posted.

I am sure that overcoming this problem is not a technical one but most of all a psychological and social one. Anyway I (and you) am not alone. In Holland (most of the time I go there to kayak) 3/4 of the drown men are found with their relief zipper open. It is clearly a dangerous occupation ;-) . I recognized that when at first I tried to use a pee bottle. Did you ever tried that whit some wind and waves? I know now where the statistic comes from (of course this are not all kayakers) knrm.nl/_sitefiles/file/zeevast/zeevast-folders/Folder%20Man%20overboord.pdf
These days I only kayak with a dry suit. My suit has a zipper between the legs (inside legs) from ankle to ankle (a suit from Peak) that way it is easy to empty the urine bag. But other manufacturers are offering a covered ankle zipper (20 cm) on demand (kokatat 50 $ in 2013)

kokatat enkel rits.png
shown here without cover but for me the zipper has to be just above the black part

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Nollen

KAYAK: Dagger Charleston

Postby peejay » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Some of these solutions seem a little medieval to me. Why can't people just look for a suitable landing and have a pee behind a bush like anyone else. If you are desperate just let it go and flush the kayak when you can.
peejay

KAYAK: Dancer, Prijon Millenium, Hybrid 550 Tiderace Xplore'L

Postby Paul Nollen » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi peejay

in my twenties, some 50 years ago, when I stopped kayaking (water became to polluted in this area), I didn't even realised there was a pee problem at all. But now that I was confronted with it I needed an easy solution. Now that I found that solution I go to the local shop (all kinds medical equipment) and I buy, from the shelf, a box of katheder condoms size .. and some urine bags of 0.5L . I don't have to order it, it is available. This means that it is bought a lot and that the use is not only limited to hospitals or elderly homes. When I thought about that I went looking for activities who could have the same problem. We already know about the glider and small aircraft pilots. (fighter plane pilots have special equipment after some F16 crashes due to pee problems ). And, I admit it is difficult to find even at this age of internet and searching machines, I found mountain climbers using the same solution. And I am sure also a lot of others, but not easy to find.
Therefore I think that there is more a social problem around this subject then a technical.
Paul Nollen

Postby deesta » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Sailor Dave
you want a woman's answer? Or are you happy taking advice and suggestions from the blokes?
;-)

Deesta
deesta

KAYAK: Mirage 530, Tahe Greenland T

Postby partymarty4870 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:25 pm

same as a guy - just go. then lift your spray skirt a little while edging to flush, then flick on the bilge pump. remembering to give a good hose out when you get home.

Or am I just a disgusting pig?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns , Cairns Charters
partymarty4870

KAYAK: epic 18, epic V10s, old school whitewater boat and an old swagman canoe

Postby peejay » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Yeah....that's the answer ladies. Just lift the skirt while edging to let a little water in to flush. How simple is that???????
peejay

KAYAK: Dancer, Prijon Millenium, Hybrid 550 Tiderace Xplore'L

Postby Paul Nollen » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:32 pm

yes, this seems a workable advice when weather conditions allows it. But it doesn't work when waring a dry suit ;-) I looked for the sea water temperatures around Australia and in some regions a dry suit can be appropriate (Hobart) but in other regions it is not needed at this time of the year. http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/forecasts/

Paul
Paul Nollen

Postby Geoff » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Sorry guys, but I find this an unbelievably arrogant conversation.
A guy asks how females pee when on the water, then a whole heap of blokes talk about how it should be done!!!!
Perhaps you should consult your partners, or any female paddler, rather than your (online) mates.
Geoff

Dee??
Geoff

KAYAK: Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Return to CHIT-CHAT