So how do girls pee in a yak?

General posting

So how do girls pee in a yak?

Postby Sailor Dave » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:30 am

..Actually this is a serious question. My bailer does the trick nicely when I can't land anywhere, but my long suffering partner just has to cross her legs and forge on. It's annoying for me, as it dictates the distances we paddle between stops, and must be annoying for her too, I suppose.

Do any of the women on the forum have any tricks they can share?

Cheers,
David.
Sailor Dave

KAYAK: Greenland Qanik, TK1 and a big red 32' kayak with mast and keel.

Re: So how do girls pee in a yak?

Postby Kayaker Greg » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:40 am

One of my paddling partners just doesn't drink, not a good option, she reckons she has trained herself not to need the water, but another time she just jumped over the side, peed, then climbed back in.
I remember some of the guys at a training camp complaining that some of the girls had obviously peed inside one of the team boats.
Kayaker Greg

KAYAK: Breaksea, Beachcomber, Slingshot, Stellar SES, SEL, Fenn Swordfish, stick for bivy, wing for fast

Postby digital_steve » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Let it flow i say... then wash your shame off, and out of the cockpit, when you next stop.
There's not much you can do really, especially if you're a female.

If people are looking for solutions, google female p-valve, as there was work in progress when i finished up diving for a female solution to connecting themselves to a pee valve in a dry suit. Essentially the same for a kayak, but you'd just have a pee bag in the 'pit or drape the hose over the side.

Gotta be careful with pee valves and condom catheters wether you're male or female:
1. Urinary tract infection is possible with back flow and the like (so running the line up and over the cockpit rim might be an issue actually)
2. Your fiance will come home and find you in the faetel position on the bedroom floor because you've decided to try a condom catheter on to see how they fit and connect to the valve of your drysuit, forgetting that they are held in place with a mild adhesive. Unless you've trimmed the area in question, certain hair will be trapped by the adhesive making removal of the condom catheter a rather tear-jerking experience - from pain or from laughter depending on if you're putting one on or you're the fiance that found their partner on the floor in agony, writhing around trying to wrestle the condom catheter off his johnson without giving himself a brazilian wax.

Food for thought people... food - for - thought.
digital_steve

KAYAK: Valley Rapier 20

Postby Sailor Dave » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:13 pm

As a nurse in training I do need to practice my catheter insertions as much as I can, but Cate seems reluctant to let me try on her, for some peculiar reason.. It does seem like the obvious solution though.

Steve your description of condom catheters has brought tears to my eyes. Too descriptive for you to be speaking hypothetically, I take it?
Sailor Dave

KAYAK: Greenland Qanik, TK1 and a big red 32' kayak with mast and keel.

Postby digital_steve » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21 pm

I admit nothing... apart from being completely useless and potentially the biggest idiot anyone knows.

I think they were using catheter in a different sense - it isn't a hospital thingy. The first iteration was a pipe inserted into the female pee hole (clearly my human biology class put in the hard yards), which i imagine would sting and no doubt carries an increased infection risk. The last one i heard about was some weird latex thing that, err, cups the general area and directs the flow to a line. It's reusable but i can't remember how it sticks. I can't even remember the name of it now.
digital_steve

KAYAK: Valley Rapier 20

Postby JohnA » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Same way as on the toilet, only flushing is not a push button away :)

Google "She Wee".
or the Scottish option of going for a "wee swim" is always open.
JohnA

KAYAK: Australis Gecko, Valley Nordkapp RM.

Postby haresfur » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:37 pm

How do girls pee in a kayak? Generally, sitting down I think.

There are a variety of feminine urinary devices (FUDs) available. I'm sure it's easier if she isn't wearing a dry suit.

I've been told that among people who wear wet suits there are two types - those who admit to peeing in them and liars. Might as well recover the heat, eh?

I used to have a kayaking video tape that explained how to raft up with a mate suffering gastric distress, place the paddles across both boats so he can get out of his seat and use the paddles as an, um, "grunt-bar" over the water. Helping your partner pee has got to be better than that.
haresfur

KAYAK: Nordcapp Poly, Wilderness Systems Tempest 165, Yost Sea Rider folder, Pyranha H2

Postby auskadi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:15 pm

well the women i paddle with just use a bottle (ie a plastic water bottle like you use on a bike) they take the lid off and unzip their wet suit from what i can tell but i dont look
auskadi

KAYAK: Mirage 580

Return to CHIT-CHAT